Traditional phone systems are a dying technology
It is common knowledge amongst telecommunications experts that ISDN is a dying technology. Indeed, BT intend to switch their ISDN network off entirely in 2025 and the general consensus is the technology will be as good as gone within five years. But this traditional system is still being used by many businesses.
ISDN is a communications network that relies heavily on physical infrastructure, specifically copper wiring. It came to prominence because it provided the opportunity to transmit voice and data over the same lines. However, because of its reliance on physical infrastructure to manage calls and additional functionality via aPBX (or multiple), this takes up space within business premises and requires resource to administer and maintain. Similarly, it is hard to add and remove new lines to an ISDN network because it requires the physical addition and removal.
So what’s the alternative?
There are two future-ready solutions storming the market right now. SIP Trunking and Hosted Telephony.
SIP connects a business’s PBX to the provider’s national network via broadband, Ethernet or a private circuit.
Hosted telephony is a complete business phone system, delivered over the internet and provided by a host and/or telephonycompany.
Which ISDN alternative is best for you?
SIP is a ready-made replacement for ISDN. It was born from agrowing need for reliable, flexible and scalable communicationstechnology. SIP Trunks enables growing businesses to managecommunications effectively in line with demand.
Here are some of the main benefits:
- Cost – One SIP channel can cost approximately 50% of the ISDN equivalent, plus you can benefit from free internal calls.
- Scalability – Additional SIP trunks can be added in less than a minute meaning you can scale up and down as you need to easily.
- Disaster recovery – SIP has built-in business continuity lettingyou reroute calls to an alternative location quickly and easily.
- Compatible with Skype for Business – Our SIP trunks are integration tested and approved to interoperate with Microsoft® Lync / Skype for Business, allowing you to directly connect to the platform to make external calls.
Horizon (hosted telephony)
Horizon is a complete communications service that provides a range of fixed and mobile telephony capabilities via an easy-to-useweb portal. It allows you to manage your calls whilst enabling youremployees to maximise their productivity.
Our award-winning hosted system, Horizon, has helped us secure no.1 in the UK for hosted telephony under 500 seats.
The key benefits are:
- Cost – Minimal capital outlay due to no onsite hardware and extremely competitive on-net rates over a business grade network.
- Greater control – Take complete control of your phone system with an extensive range of call handling and managementfeatures, all operated through an easy-to-use web interface. Ideal for home workers or multiple sites.
- Improving customer service – Enhance the service you can provide to your customers at all times with dynamic callhandling, pre-recorded messages and seamless transfers at the touch of a button.
- Reliable and secure – We provide full support including training, number porting, provisioning and 24/7 UK-based assistance giving you complete peace of mind.